First-year medical student Zachery Dereniowski has taken to TikTok to share the warning signs of high-functioning depression.
Zachery – also a co-founder of Mental Health Movement which seeks to ‘mission to destigmatize and normalize conversations about mental health’ – shares videos about mental health online on a regular basis.
With nearly 825 thousand followers, his videos are pretty popular.
One which has made some significant waves details five signs of high-functioning depression in simple terms.
The five signs he highlights are:
- ‘You can fulfil your obligations but collapse from exhaustion
- ‘You feel like you’re constantly “faking it”
- ‘You can be battling negative intrusive thoughts while also supporting loved ones
- ‘You get physically sick when you take a break
- ‘You can do what is “essential” to a high standard but neglect other things’
The video has the signs written above Zachery as he’s walking backwards down a street near the (supposedly) Sydney coastline, where the Mental Health Movement website says he’s going to university.
His bio on the website also says he is a ‘former college dropout’ who ‘learned rather quick what rock bottom felt like’.
Signs of High Functioning Depresion #mentalhealthmatters #psychology #advocate #youmattermost #psych
He also previously shared a video with four characteristics of ‘perfectly hidden depression’.
In captions on the clip, he writes that they are:
- ‘You are highly perfectionistic, which a constant, critical inner voice of intense shame
- ‘You intensely focus on tasks, as you often use accomplishments as a way to feel valuable
- ‘You have an active and sincere concern about the wellbeing of others, while letting few if any into your inner world
- ‘You have emotional difficulty in relationships BUT demonstrate significant professional success’
share if YOU feel this @fabreezy_ ❤️ #youmattermost #mentalhealth #psychology #depresion #anxeity
Need support for your mental health?
You can contact mental health charity Mind on 0300 123 3393 or text them on 86463.
Mind can also be reached by email at [email protected]
Do you have a story to share?
Get in touch by emailing [email protected]
Source: Read Full Article